The EPA Shall Terminate on December 31, 2018

10 comments, 473 views, posted 12:35 am 16/02/2017 in Politics by evolution
evolution has 13006 posts, 6273 threads, 449 points
Teoti or not Teoti: That is the question.

The Environmental Protection Agency shall terminate on December 31, 2018
By Mark Sumner | Feb 15, 2017 | Daily Kos

That’s H. R. 861. Not the title of H. R. 861, it’s the whole bill.

The Environmental Protection Agency shall terminate on December 31, 2018.

The bill, introduced by Florida Republican Matt Gaetz and co-sponsored by Kentucky’s Thomas Massie, Mississippi’s Steven Palazzo, and Georgia’s Barry Loudermilk doesn’t bother with anything like wondering what happens to the data the agency collects, or the enforcement the agency carries out. It doesn’t sweat the details of employees or contracts. There’s nothing about what happens to the Clean Air Act, or the Clean Water Act, or the Endangered Species Act, or … anything at all.

Just ‘terminated.’

Of course, Republicans already have an alternative means of destroying the EPA in place. Under Scott Pruitt, the plan is already underway to subvert and pervert the agency’s mission, to make sure it is critically understaffed, to turn it into a prime example of a non-functional bureaucracy.

So it’s likely that Gaetz’s bill won’t get the support it needs. This time.

DoomOnYou (25)

Comments

12:43 am 16/02/2017

It is already the prime example of a non-functional bureaucracy. I's so good it's aim is to render almost every aspect of business and personal life non-functional.

12:45 am 16/02/2017

Now, I do think we need an EPA. It's focus should be on toxic waste and ensuring businesses don't do extensive environmental harm. Unfortunately it has become an over reaching quagmire where rain run-off becomes protected waterways.

1:11 am 16/02/2017

backroom

You exaggerate far to frequently to be that bad at it.

3:40 am 16/02/2017

Never said it couldn't be worse!

3:47 am 16/02/2017

backroom

Never said it couldn't be worse!

What could be worse than that?
Oh yeah... you were exaggerating.

4:07 am 16/02/2017

*gasp* really? OMG!!!

Hyperbole aside, I get the need for government oversight of environmental concerns. The current powers of the EPA are far too broad and don't address real issues. I live within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant that has has serious safety issues reported five times in the last month. Any EPA action? Nope. The town's main sewer main broke near my house. Any cleanup? Nope, now the town is stacking sewerage tainted pipe by the hundreds in a residential area... any concern? Nope! But hell, make sure you regulate what I exhale as a part of my biological metabolic necessity!

4:23 am 16/02/2017

backroom

Hudson Falls, NY and Bennington, VT and Newburgh, NY all have water supplies contaminated by PFOA.
Clean up did not begin until the EPA got involved.

I live within 10 miles of a nuclear power plant that has serious safety issues reported five times in the last month. Any EPA action?

How about the NRA? (the agency, not the association) It is more in their scope, after all.
They are shutting down Indian Point right now.

Sounds like the EPA should be involved. But you seem to be in favor of knocking them down a couple of pegs. Make the call. Get them involved. I am sure it won't increase you taxes too much. It is all just a matter of priorities after all.
Let me ask you... How many brown fields are you aware of that have been cleaned up?
Who forced GE to dredge the Hudson River to remove the PCB's they dumped in to it for years?

Really? Exaggeration again?
Fake News!

12:42 am 17/02/2017

DoomOnYou

Quote by backroom:
How about the NRA? (the agency, not the association)

Are you thinking about the NRC?

3:06 am 17/02/2017