This Is Upsetting And Disappointing If True

13 comments, 297 views, posted 12:18 am 14/06/2018 in Politics by LordViscera
LordViscera has 18546 posts, 2652 threads, 695 points, location: 1123 6536 5321
Jarl of Glencoe

Trump, in Fox News interview, says of Kim Jong Un: 'We understand each other'

President Trump, in an interview with Fox News' Bret Baier, indicated he is willing to set aside concerns over Kim Jong Un’s human rights abuses in pursuit of a denuclearization deal but said he will only consider recent U.S. efforts a success if North Korea actually gives up its nuclear weapons.

“I only consider it successful if it gets done,” Trump said Wednesday night on “Special Report.” “I think we have done something very historic already in one way. But to me a success is when it gets done.”

The president spoke to Fox News on Air Force One before departing Singapore, where he and Kim met for a high-stakes nuclear summit on Tuesday. “I think we have a very good relationship. We understand each other,” Trump said of Kim.

Asked about the human rights abuses and executions conducted by Kim’s regime, the president called Kim a “tough guy” but said “a lot of other people” have “done some really bad things” too.

I hope this is the usual strategy he seems to employ, saying one thing but that isn't exactly what the final intention is. I would hope he doesn't sell out the people who Kim has tortured and hurt and killed to score political points, but I know that IS a possibility here. I'll have to keep watching with hope for the best

REALITY (10), tamsnod27 (5)

Comments

1:40 am 14/06/2018

Yeah, well Iran, Saudi, Pakistan... How anyone says they could possible overlook those abuses is beyond me. I guess one goal at a time.

1:40 am 14/06/2018

My view on this is to start with the big issue. Sorry, the Nukes are that issue. As for what happens at home for Kim, I think Trump is trying to sell him capitalism... and if Kim bites on that hook the abuse will go away (you don't get may dissidents when the populous is rich, fat and happy).

The other part of this.. what has happened has already happened. If Trump hammers Kim on past atrocities there is no hope for future change. In this case I really think the carrot is the best strategy.

1:42 am 14/06/2018

You can't fix everything, much less everything at once. There is a whole mindset handed down trough three generations that needs to be changed. This is the very first step in a long process.

1:46 am 14/06/2018

I meant how our government has been overlooking human rights abuses for a long time.

2:38 am 14/06/2018

Who cares about human rights in N Korea. If war breaks out over him having nukes abuse will be a mute point. Fix one thing first and worry about the rest later.

4:27 am 14/06/2018

Oh I get it, larger concerns, but the idea that the statement is made that we'll "just look beyond" isn't comforting

4:28 am 14/06/2018

Well, THAT we agree on. We have had a long string of presidents (R & D) who sit down with leaders of very oppressive countries and let them run the show. I'd say Eisenhower through Carter and Bush Sr. through Obama. Say what you will about Regan, but he played the game with Russia which eventually led to the communist downfall. Trump seems to be stepping up that game. ("Dude, stop being a prick and look what you can achieve for your people!")

Honestly, (other than Regan) who's bothered to actually flaunt American/Capitalist values as an alternative to communism or dictatorship?

10:21 am 14/06/2018

Everything needs to start somewhere, making sure some idiot doesn't hit the nuke button before things get started is as good a place to start as any.

3:54 pm 14/06/2018

Step 1: Get him to get rid of nukes
Step 2: Get him comfortable being outside of N Korea
Step 3: Arrest him for human rights abuses

6:02 pm 14/06/2018

Kims' (dead) father still runs the country so point 3 may not get you very far

2:03 am 15/06/2018

Look, if we can get the abuse (started by his grandfather and the norm he knows) to eventually stop through diplomacy and opening his eyes to freedom... do we really need to be dicks about it? His own people can handle it (if they want to) when they become empowered.

The idea America has to lead every revolution for the oppressed in the world has given us the messed up foreign policy we have today. Perhaps if we just let things get bad enough for the people to revolt, they might appreciate the results for a change.

3:00 am 15/06/2018

. Many times the US puts the oppressor in power in the first place

1:52 pm 15/06/2018